Sunday, June 23, 2013

8 Things I Have Discovered So Far

It's been an incredible journey so far and we're nowhere near done.  But here's 8 things I have discovered in the last three months.

8.  Why not us?  Instead of why me? Why us? Why him?  I have begun to turn that around.  The odds are not in our favor.  But it's not a 100% death sentence, so that means SOMEONE out there survives this.  Why not us?

7.  Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming.  Oh the things Pixar has taught me.  Sometime you just have to go through the motions.  When that time comes, it helps to hum a happy tune.

6.  The alternative is unacceptable.  Period.  So I hold his little arms when getting poked.  I make family, friends, and strangers alike sanitize. I make co-workers send me an e-mail instead of walking 20 feet to my desk if they're sniffly... just in case.  I keep a ziploc baggie with a doctor's note and facemask in it just in case I get pulled over, so the officer won't freak out by our masks (and the necessity for him/her to wear one).  I sign documents that state that I am aware that the "medicine" that they are about to shove into my child's blood is toxic, and might kill him. I do all of this stuff because I must.  Because the alternative is unacceptable.

5. I am a crazy person, and that's okay.  Those who love me, understand. Those who don't, well... point and laugh. I'm good with either of these scenarios.

4. I am surrounded by lovely people.  Maybe it's because I am in the Midwest/Bible Belt/relatively small town.  But the kindness of the people who surround me is downright weird.  I thought the world was going to hell in a handbasket!  It's all over facebook 24/7!  (Thanks a lot, Obama.) But that is simply is not my experience.

3. Don't sweat the small stuff.  Nothing like cancer to provide a healthy dose of perspective.  Oh, that waitress screwed up your sandwich?  Dude... it's a pickle.  Flat tire on you way to an important meeting?  Dude... send a photo text to your boss and then work on your tan while waiting on OnStar.  After cancer, everything is "small stuff."

2.  When in doubt, laugh.  And try to get those around you smiling as well.

1.  Don't eat hospital food... ever.  You WILL pay the piper.


1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I 100% agree! Stay positive and always smile!xx

    ReplyDelete