Friday, July 12, 2013

Mother F*#%ing Cancer

As many of you already know, my 31-year-old sister was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago.

Ben was in the hospital for some unknown infection when my mom and I got the call.  We stood behind his bed and sobbed.  Pulling ourselves together only when Ben took his headphones off and demanded to know what on earth was so sad.  I sat down on the bed and began explaining: "You know how you have cancer? Well, Aunt Tera has cancer too.  And we're sad because cancer can be scary sometimes."  He responded, "Aunt Tewa will get a port like me [pointing to his heart].  Then she is done. That is not sad or scary."  From the mouths of babes...

Tera is undergoing testing right now and will have a treatment plan nailed down in a couple of weeks.  You can follow her progress/story on her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TeraFightsLikeAGirl

One of her tests is a genetic test. Breast cancer "runs in the family" so we all suspect she will test positive for one of the genetic markers.  If she does, I have to go get a test done as well.  If it's positive, it is likely that a double mastectomy will be recommended, along with a oophorectomy (removal of ovaries)/hysterectomy.  (I'm hoping for the oophorectomy, just so I can say I've had that done. What a hilarious word.)

So.  Cancer.  You effing bastard.  First come after my son, then my sister, then threaten me.  You threaten us with death. You force us to maim our bodies. You steal precious memories that will now never happen. You take our future children.  You scar our souls.

Why does tragedy always seem to find my family?  How much can one family take?  We're about to find out.

I hate to ruin the ending for you... but everything turns out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment